Thursday, February 16, 2012

I am mighty: my stengths

I recently read that we should focus on developing the skills/characteristics that are already strengths for us as people instead of focusing on building our weaknesses because we will make far more forward progress with the skills that are already strengths for us. This really struck me. Huh, I thought, as I sat at my computer screen. I don't know about you but I've always been someone who has looked at their weaknesses and thought "I really need to work on that". I really need to...xyz (stop procrastinating, start sticking with things, start taking care of myself etc). In the mean time there my little strengths sat stagnant, not growing, not developing just hanging out.

I may be getting ahead of myself. How did I find out my strengths? Viame that's how. I took a 240 question survey that revealed:

Your Top Character Strength

1. Appreciation of Beauty & Excellence
You notice and appreciate beauty, excellence, and/or skilled performance in all domains of life, from nature to art to mathematics to science to everyday experience.

2.Curiosity
You are curious about everything. You are always asking questions, and you find all subjects and topics fascinating. You like exploration and discovery.

3.Love
You value close relations with others, in particular those in which sharing and caring are reciprocated. The people to whom you feel most close are the same people who feel most close to you.

4. Love of learning
You love learning new things, whether in a class or on your own. You have always loved school, reading, and museums-anywhere and everywhere there is an opportunity to learn.

5. Creativity
Thinking of new ways to do things is a crucial part of who you are. You are never content with doing something the conventional way if a better way is possible.

For the safe of posterity my bottom three strengths, some may call them weaknesses: prudence, perseverance, self-regulation.


I don't know that I would have named all my top 5 strengths but believe it or not I would have named a few: creativity, love of learning and love. I'd like to take some time in the next week to reflect and think about what I can do in my life to maximize those strengths. First, I have a life list. The list is kind of like my guarantee that I won't let the monotony of life take me over so that I forget to appreciate beauty and wonder. Secondly, I continue to create whenever I can. I enjoy my artwork and I love to craft. A little over a year ago I started dabbling in photography which has opened my eyes to beauty in a way I hadn't seen prior. Beyond this, what can I do to ensure that I am growing myself daily? I'll let you know what I come up with.

(This post was inspired by the wonderful project A Year with Myself )

No comments:

Post a Comment