Thursday, February 16, 2012

Memphis Part II

The best thing about traveling with your best friend? She likes all the same things as you. No arguing over where to go or what to do. Our brief time in Memphis was filled with activities. Here was our agenda:

Friday:
Arrive at 11pm to our amazing hotel
Sleep

Saturday:
Wake up at 7:00 am (ok that was me)
Sun studio 10:30 am tour
Lunch at Blues City Cafe
Tour Beale Street
Civil Rights Museum
B.B. Kingsfor music (and fried pickles)
NAP BREAK
Dinner at The Butcher Shop

Sunday:
Breakfast at Rooks Cornerin the hotel
Graceland
Geocaching on Beale Street
Lunch at some delish creole place I just can't remember
Drive the 9 hours home!

It was such a fun trip, even if it was super short. The food was so amazing I can't even explain it. Blues City Cafe has such a down home diner vibe going on. We split a HUGE slab of ribs that came with boiled potatoes, that were only ok, garlic bread, and coleslaw. It was really good. The star of the meal however was their seafood gumbo. It had big chunks of crawfish with a roux base. I could have eaten it for every meal while we were there. We finished it off with an apple dumpling a la mode skillet. Let's just say our bellies were very happy...and round. To make up for the gluttony we walked to the Civil Rights Museum. I know I talked about it before but it's a must see. They have built the museum around the Lorraine Hotel and it even includes the building where the sniper fired the fatal shot at King. Like I said before, go.

Hours and hours later, when we were hungry again we had dinner at The Butcher Shop, a very well known steak house in Memphis. I had a cold and my tastebuds weren't working properly but I'd still say it's just ok. There wasn't any seasoning on the steaks and for 30 dollars I want a really flavorful steak! I did order the loaded baked potato as a side and it was exceptional. I still don't think I'd try it again.

Sunday we hit Graceland like a hurricane. I thought that we would just be touring the house but it's so much more than that. There is the obvious tour of Graceland itself, a car museum, Elvis LIVE, a tour of the Lisa Marie (Elvis' plane) and million and one gift shops. I'm going to be honest, I appreciate Elvis. I appreciate what he did for music but I'm not a super fan. Graceland was Madeline's idea, but honestly I'm really glad I went even if it IS just to help me win Trivial Pursuit.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment